The 2018 Proof Set is one of the most unique collectibles from the United States Mint this year debuts today at noon Eastern with the release of the 2018-S Silver Reverse Proof Set.
The set is comprised of 10 coins each from the U.S. Mint’s facility in San Francisco and bearing a distinctive finish. They are struck in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the San Francisco Mint’s first production of regular proof sets.
Coins from the set are minted in reverse proof — an opposite of standard proofs. Reverse proof coins exhibit mirror-like artwork and inscriptions against frosted backgrounds.
Limits, Price and Included Coins
During the first 24 hours of sales, the U.S. Mint has instituted an order limit of 10 sets per household. No more than 200,000 sets will be offered, and some believe those will not last long.
Priced at $54.95, included in the 2018-S Silver Reverse Proof Set are the following collector coins:
- 2018-S Reverse Proof Native American $1 Coin
- 2018-S Reverse Proof Silver Kennedy Half Dollar
- 2018-S Reverse Proof Silver Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Quarter (Michigan)
- 2018-S Reverse Proof Silver Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Quarter (Wisconsin)
- 2018-S Reverse Proof Silver Voyageurs National Park Quarter (Minnesota)
- 2018-S Reverse Proof Silver Cumberland Island National Seashore Quarter (Georgia)
- 2018-S Reverse Proof Silver Block Island National Wildlife Refuge Quarter (Rhode Island)
- 2018-S Reverse Proof Silver Roosevelt Dime
- 2018-S Reverse Proof Jefferson Nickel
- 2018-S Reverse Proof Lincoln Cent
Designs exclusive to this year include those on the five America the Beautiful quarter dollars and on the Native American $1 Coin.
Three of the coins — the cent, the nickel and the dollar — are in regular compositions. The half dollar, five quarters and dime are manufactured in 90% silver (and 10% copper) so each set has a total silver weight of 1.338 troy ounces. While their finishes are different, the 10 coins and their metallic make-up are identical to the standard Silver Proof Set.
This year’s regular Silver Proof Set launched in April for $49.95 and has sales of 198,041 through July 15. Last year’s set is also available from the Mint. Its price is $47.95 and it has sales of 348,427 through the 15th.
The 2018-S Silver Reverse Proof Set may be ordered directly from the U.S. Mint via its website page dedicated to Proof Sets. Orders are also accepted by calling (800) USA MINT (872-6468).
Update 1 (July 24 at 10:05 a.m. ET): First-day sales reached 114,108 sets, according to the U.S. Mint. CoinNews will publish a photo or two of a set this afternoon.
Update 2 (July 24 at 1:06 p.m. ET): The Mint revised first-day sales to 106,108 sets.